Advertisement

What's pooping in my yard??

topic posted Sun, August 21, 2005 - 1:48 PM by  sonya
Share/Save/Bookmark
We're seeing recurring piles appearing in a part of the yard that's well removed from the street, and it's mystifying. My hubby thinks it's someone's dog, but I have a feeling it isn't - as I said, this is the most removed lawn area from the road. The deposits seem to contain a variety of stuff, not like generic digested dogfood; there are insect parts and what looks like feathers. It's about the size and shape that a cat or medium-to-small-sized dog would produce. There doesn't seem to be an attempt to cover it up like a cat would, though.

We live outside the city, in a somewhat suburban area, so I thought it might be raccoons or squirrels, except the poops look somewhat too large for those animals. They're always in the same part of the yard. What else could it be? How can I find out? I looked online at animal dropping sites (eww) with no luck. Strange.
posted by:
sonya
Seattle
Advertisement
  • Re: What's pooping in my yard??

Sun, August 21, 2005 - 4:45 PM
    Thanks, you guys. It does look like raccoon. Anyone know how I can discourage this? We have birdfeeders in the yard near there, which I'm sure attracts the raccoons. I will put up with a certain amout of poop though; I'm not getting rid of the feeders.

Sun, August 21, 2005 - 4:57 PM
      If you have dogs or cats, don't put food outside and keep the doggie or kittie door closed or they will come in at night for a snack. Also, if you have a pond, that could be the attractant. Fruit trees?

Sun, August 21, 2005 - 6:57 PM
        No fruit trees, though there is a berry bush nearby. I think what might be happening is this: now and then I'll shake out the rug that I put under the catfood dishes in the kitchen - right into that part of the yard. They probably come and eat the bits of kibble. Won't do that anymore and see how it goes.

Mon, August 22, 2005 - 6:57 PM
        I struggle with this because I feed a semi-feral cat who lives in and around our yard. One of our indoor/outdoor cats also prefers to dine outside (he's quite old and the two female cats pester him unmercifully when he comes inside to eat). Anyway, I occasionally forget the food outside and it's often enough that the raccoons have made us a stop on their food rounds. My next door neighbor has two ponds also, I never redid my small pond after the coons destroyed it. I fear them getting into my veggie garden someday or harming one of the cats. But I also have to respect them for being able to survive in this urban environment.

Wed, August 24, 2005 - 3:18 PM
          They're real scavengers, aren't they? I actually like them - well, I liked them a lot more before all the poop in the yard. But they need to eat too. I think it's great that you're feeding the cat; maybe at some paint you could tame him a bit and get him to come inside at night.

Thu, August 25, 2005 - 9:14 PM
            Well, just today he forgot he was afraid and rubbed against my legs for the first time ever whenI brought the food out. We've cared for him since he was a starving, worm and flea infested kitten that showed up in our yard about a year and a half ago. We caught him and got him treated and neutered so I guess he's right to be leery of us. He's so timid the other cats all boss him around although he is a young and strong tomcat and could kick their pampered butts up and down the street if he really wanted to.

He's the orange cat in my profile main picture, snuggling with his hero and mentor, our 15 year grumpy old man.

Wed, December 14, 2005 - 12:04 AM
    I've seen these piles as well. It definitely isn't cats or dogs because they don't eat insects. The location of my garden means that it can only be large birds like crows. Hope this helps.
    • Unsu...

Re: What's pooping in my yard??

Wed, December 14, 2005 - 11:22 AM
      I remember this thread from a while back.....I think it just might be the leavings from meals ingested by predatory birds such as hawks and owls.
      I was on my son's rural property the other day and there was a pile of odd bits.....regurgitated stuff perhaps...fur and organs of a small animal.
      In the original posting it mentioned feathers and seeds and bird feeding going on....my guess is a Cooper's hawk's left overs. There is a name for this "stuff" but it escapes me at the moment.
      G.G.Gardenia

Recent topics in "Northwest Gardening"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
I HATE SQUIRRELS AND CATS!!!!! Unsubscribed 12 February 10, 2011
Growing azaleas in containers Unsubscribed 0 March 9, 2010
Holy Moley! BRad 2 October 16, 2009
Broccoli in containers Unsubscribed 0 August 12, 2009